Current and former professional roles
- Editor Mammal Communications
- Associate Editor Mammalia
- Associate Editor Hystrix
The Mammal Society
- Council 1980-81, 1983, 1991, 2014-pres
- Former Conference Secretary
- Honorary Secretary 1992-1996
Zoological Society of London
- Publications Committee 1990-1996
River Otter Beaver Trial – Management Group
England Squirrel Forum – national committee for advising government
Jersey, Channel Islands – advisor on small mammals.
Dormouse Advisory Group, Natural England
Advisory reports on wildlife management for Forestry Commission, Country Agencies and Jersey States (see Publications 2).
Conference organiser (since 2000)
- 2007 – Island Mammal Workshop Organiser,5th European Congress of Mammalogy, Siena, Italy.
- 2006-7 Scientific Committee for the 5th European Congress of Mammalogy. Siena, Italy.
- 2003-5 Scientific Committee for the 9th International Conference Rodens & Spatium, Poland.
University postgraduate examining
- Masters by Research: Universities of London: 1986, 2000; Natal: 1988, 1990, 1994, 1996, 2004.
- Ph.D: Universities of: Belfast 1990; 1999; 2001; Cardiff 1991; Dublin 1998; 2000; 2008; Exeter 1982; 2012; Galway 2013; London: 1987; 1991; 1992; 1993; 1997; 1999; 2001; 2002; 2003; 2004; 2008; 2009; 2011; 2011; 2012; 2013; Manchester 1988; Natal 1990; 1997; Oxford 1995; Pretoria 2009; Reading 1991; Southampton 1997; 2004.
University of London
- Central Research Fund Committee. From June 2003 to 2010
- Deputy Chair of Central Research Fund Committee. From March 2004-2010.
Queen Mary University of London
- Chair – Week Zero Committee 2009-2010.
- 1969 – B.Sc. Hons. Zoology (Exeter)
- 1973 – Ph.D. Biological Sciences Exeter on the behaviour of wild mice, Apodemus sylvaticus. (Supervisor Ian Linn.)
- 1965‑66 Assistant Scientific Officer, M.A.F.F., Pest Infestation Control Laboratory, Guildford, Surrey
- 1973‑74 Scientific Officer, M.A.F.F., Pest Infestation Control Laboratories, Tolworth, Surrey
- 1974‑84 Lecturer, Department of Zoology, Westfield College, University of London, London
- 1984-90 Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London
- 1991-97 Senior Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London
- 1997-02 Reader in Ecology, Queen Mary, University of London
- 2002- 13 Professor of Ecology, Queen Mary, University of London
- 2013 Emeritus Professor of Ecology, Queen Mary University of London
Membership of professional bodies
- Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour
- British Ecological Society
- The Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management ( MIEEM,Full Member 1992-2000)
- The Mammal Society
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
- Societe Europaea Mammalogica
- Universities Federation for Animal Welfare
- Zoological Society of London